Monday, August 1, 2011

Out here in the swamps....

Dear Family,  How’s it goin?! Sounds like everything is going well back home, it must be pretty crazy getting ready for the wedding. Well life out in the swamp is going pretty good. We had a crazy hectic week but it was good. The work is still going pretty slow but I still feel extremely blessed. But first I guess I'll answer some of dad's questions. Yes we have a car, our area is really big, we live about ten miles from the bulk of our area, so thank goodness we have a car. However, for the past two weeks we have had go bike because we ran out of miles, so that stunk. We had to drive out to our area everyday and then bike which wasted a lot of time which was kind of frustrating, but oh well what can you do? No we don’t have many dinner appointments, in fact I think we have only had one the whole time I've been here. The members don’t really help out a whole ton, there are a few people in the ward who are just way awesome, but other than that the rest of them aren't to serious about missionary work, so our whole objective is trying to get them on board. Especially in an area like this, without the members and getting referrals, the work is going to go really slow, like it has been haha And yes we have a lot of fun with the other elders. We live with the zone leaders, so we are always having a good time in the apartment. Alright there you go dad I answered them all I think haha and mom I did get the film disk, so I'm good.

So first I want to talk a little about the whole online missionary thing. So for Facebook, my profile should be open for anybody to see, but I think I can only add family members as friends. As for my blog, that’s open for everyone and the more comments I get on those things the better. The whole point of online missionary work is to get more people that are looking up the church online to go to church websites. So the more comments and the more hits on a website, the more frequent it appears when you search on Google or something. We want people to go to more church websites and missionary blogs and what not then anti-Mormon stuff. So what I would invite everyone to do is to go to mormon.org and create a profile. It's very simple and very easy and it will help with the work, so please do it.

So anyway we had a pretty good week, like I said it was kind of slow but really hectic. On Monday we got a text from N. and he was really struggling, he got a notice on his door that he would be kicked out of his apartment in 7 days, and so we were calling all over the place trying to get some help from him, and everybody was so slow to act. It was super urgent because his phone was going to get shut off the next day because he couldn't pay for it, so he needed help and we couldn't seem to get any.  So we actually lost contact with him on Tuesday and then miraculously heard from him on Thursday! He got a new phone and we set up a time to see him on Friday. So on Friday we went and picked him up with a member and brought him back to the church so we could be in a more spirit conducive environment. We had a wonderful lesson with him, we read D&C 121 and 122 with him and felt the spirit so strong. We asked him if he still wanted to be baptized and he said yes, so we set it for Sunday.  So we got an interview lined up and everything and he was way super excited!  But then we found out he couldn't get baptized because of some certain reasons and that we would have to wait for a little while. So it was really sad having to break the news to him that he couldn't get baptized, probably one of the hardest things I've had to do.  So we almost had a baptism this weekend but I guess the Lord had something else in mind.

On Saturday we had the wonderful opportunity for Elder Giddens, a member of the 6th quorum of the seventy, to come speak to us. It was amazing!  That man had so much knowledge of everything, he didn't even come prepared with anything; he just came with his scriptures and with his prayers. He would just start going on about a subject, and it was so spirit led, i was able to have so many questions answered. And now I just can't wait till August 13 when Jeffery R. Holland will come to speak to us!

Oh we also had a really awesome district meeting on Wednesday and it was cool because it tied in a lot with Elder Giddens and what he talked about.  But at the beginning I had everyone in my district tell their story of why they came and then we talked about reaching our true potential and becoming who we wanted to become when we first came out. Then we all prayed individually for ten minutes to seek guidance and inspiration on what we need to do. It was a really powerful experience and I learned a lot from it as well.

Ok so I know I’m bouncing back and forth but that’s just how my mind is working right now haha  So as for our other investigators.....well its kind of rough at the moment. A. and C. are slowly progressing but they didn't come to church on Sunday, well nobody came to church on Sunday.  Yeah so that’s basically the story of what’s going on here, just appointments and everything falling through but we are still seeing success so I  just need to be patient haha Which is something I often times lack.

Well I don’t know what else to really talk about, but I'm still having a blast and loving missionary work! This truly is the Lords work and I am so grateful that I have had the opportunity to grow up in the gospel, it’s such a blessing. I don’t know where I'd be if I didn't have it, I would hope that I would be willing to accept it, if missionaries came to me, but I am just glad to already be in it.  But I love you all and hope you all have a great week.  Love, Elder Garrett Bushman

No comments:

Post a Comment