Monday, July 4, 2011

What the Heck?

Dear Family,  So this week was one of the best weeks of my mission.  Elder A. and I decided at the beginning of the week that we were going to set the example for the district and that we were going to do everything in our power to reach all of our goals and get a baptism.  However my thoughts are extremely jumbled right now because I am really nervous for this next transfer but I'll let you know more about that later. 

So last Sunday Elder A. and I fasted for a miracle, we fasted that we could help with the zone goal of ten baptisms for this weekend.  We had a really good feeling going into it and something amazing did happen. So on Tuesday we were at the Library because Elder A. has an online missionary assignment, and I called this lady that had befriended L. at church that Sunday. I thanked her for being a good friend to L. and then asked her if he had said anything about the church to her and she said “Yeah! He wants to get baptized!”  I was shocked! I don’t think I have ever been so happy in my life, I guess something finally clicked with him. We went over there that night without him knowing because we just had a feeling we needed to go over there. The lady I had talked to was there and we started talking and ended up teaching the third lesson. At the end we were like "so L. we heard you wanted to get baptized?" and he was like "yeah when can I do it?" We asked him when he would like to get baptized and he said this Saturday! Yeah L. got baptized on Saturday!!!! hahaha What a testimony booster to Elder A. and I on the power of fasting and prayer.  So for the rest of the week we prepared for his baptism, we finished teaching him the lessons and he stopped drinking that day, and stopped everything. He even had a lot of opposition that week but he just kept telling us that he had a goal in mind and that nothing would stop him, and that even if Satan himself showed up to try and stop him that, that wouldn't even work hahaha He is such a stud! Then the baptism on Saturday was amazing, However he did have to be baptized three times because Brother W. couldn't get him under haha But as they were walking out of the font you could just hear those two laughing and joking about it.  I called him later and talked about it, and he said that he loved it and that he had a great time. Then on Sunday it was crazy because we had 3 baby blessing and 3 confirmations.  L. was the last one to get confirmed and later he told me that we was sad when it was over because he liked it so much, he is just so solid and so awesome, there isn't much more to say about it.

Oh and guess who else we ran into again....yeah we ran into T. and L. again while we were at the Library. We met with them that night and set a date for the 17th with them.  It was a way powerful lesson, we read 3 Nephi 11 with them about Christ coming and they absolutely loved it.  Later in the week we watched the restoration with them and they loved that as well. They also read the pamphlet on the plan of salvation and they were just so excited about how we lived with god before we came to this earth. So we set up everything for them to come to church with us this Sunday and even got them a ride.  But at 9:30 we get a call from their ride and they told us that they were late and couldn't find them.  So that was a big bummer until T. and L. just randomly showed up at church. They figured out a way over there and they told us they did it because it was something that was important to them and that it was a priority. The only problem is that they might get evicted from their apartment, so we are just praying they don’t. 

So all these amazing things were going on, we have 3 dates set for this month and then I get a call Saturday night......and I'm getting transferred. I was shocked, I thought for sure I was staying, I mean I haven't even had a companion for longer than one transfer yet and Elder A. and I were doing such good work. Then I get a call this morning from President Barry asking me if I could be a district leader.  Yeah that is why I am nervous as junk, I haven't even hit six months yet.  I'm not nervous about being a district leader so much as I'm nervous that the missionaries I will be serving with won’t respect me because I am so young.  But I know that the Lord's hand is in everything and that this is what I need to be doing. I don't know where I am going yet, I won’t find out till Tuesday but I hope its not too far so I can come back for the baptisms.  Jake, Austin, and Dad if you have any good ideas for me about leadership or being a district leader I would really appreciate it, I'm going to need all the help I can get haha.

Oh by the way I finished the Book of Mormon today and what an amazing experience it was!  Oh man it was crazy, especially reading about the destruction of the people.  I can't believe how stubborn they were. However I love Moroni's testimony at the end of the Book of Mormon, he basically says that the Book of Mormon is true and all those that don't believe in it will see him at the judgment and he'll be like "I told you so" haha it was awesome! I hope you are all still reading and having a great experience like I did. Oh also Sister H. texted me the other day and told me that she went to church this weekend and that she is doing a lot better so that was good to hear, and thank you for keeping her in your prayers. 

Well I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July, it sounds like you are going to have a really fun day. We don’t really have anything fun planned; we are just going to go say goodbye to some people.  Sorry if my letter isn't as long this week, but like I said my thoughts are all over the place right now, so its really hard putting it all into words.  But I love you all and thank you for your support and your prayers they help out a lot.

Love,  Elder Garrett Bushman

No comments:

Post a Comment